Worshipping God, Studying God's Word, Doing God's Will
First Presbyterian Church: Huntington, Indiana
 
ABOUT US


History:
It was in October, 1843, that The Home Missionary Society of Pennsylvania sent the Rev. Thomas Anderson with his family, from Erie, Pennsylvania, to establish a church in Huntington (then a town of less than three-hundred people). He reached Huntington on a Sunday and held a service that evening at a tavern called the Rock House (site of the Instructional Services Building for Huntington Community Schools today) where he and his family were to stay. This inn had been built close to the canal in 1835.

By November 11, 1843, he was able with the help of the Rev. Samuel Steele, circuit-rider (who assisted in founding several neighboring churches), to organize a church with nine charter members: William Steele, Nancy Steele, James C. Best, Jane Best, Catherine McClelland, Evaline McClelland, Phoebe Anderson, Belinda Anderson and Philander Anderson.

The church was homeless for many years and held services in the Court House except when it enjoyed the hospitality of the more fortunate Methodists, Baptists and Christian churches.

During the pastorate of the Rev. James A. Veale and with the help of the Board of Church Erection a good church was dedicated in July, 1862.

What We Believe:
As part of the Presbyterian Church (USA), First Presbyterian Church adheres to the theological beliefs of the Reformed Tradition. As such, we place a high value on the Word of God being truly preached, taught and heard; the sacraments of Baptism and Communion being rightly administered; and the making and nurturing of disciples of Jesus.



VBS Photo  
  Scroll Ornament